Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

What I Study


In my Careers in Scientific Communications class, we were given the writing assignment below. I liked it enough to post my answer here. I would love to see yours too!


Write a short essay (125-175 words) about your lab research or a science topic of your choice. The essay should describe/explain the science so that it is understandable to the non-scientific public.

I study how stem cells make and use energy - stem cell metabolism. I don't use the controversial stem cells that get all the headlines. Instead, I use stem cells from bone marrow, also called mesenchymal stem cells or MSCs. Stem cells have two defining properties that make them stem cells. First, they can make more stem cells, exact replicas of themselves. Secondly, a stem cell has the ability to become a different type of cell. MSCs can become bone, fat, or cartilage. There are two main ways cells make energy. Glycolysis makes a little energy, and doesn't require oxygen. Oxidative phosphorylation does require oxygen, and makes a lot of energy. Stem cells mostly use glycolysis. Bone cells mostly use oxidative phosphorylation. Somewhere along the path from stem cell to bone, the cells switch how they make their energy. If you stop oxidative phosphorylation from happening, you also stop the stem cell from becoming bone. We don't know why or how this switch happens, and that's what I want to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment